LOR when booting CURRENT

Robert Huff roberthuff at rcn.com
Tue Aug 1 00:18:18 UTC 2006

Christian S.J. Peron writes:

>  > 	For the record, I'm (still) getting this also.
>
>  This appears to be similar to the LOR associated with IPFW and ucred
>  based rules, I think. Although this is a lock order reversal and it
>  probably isn't a false positive, it should be reasonably harmless,
>  because the pfil hook lock is a reader lock, thus different threads can
>  acquire it (at this point) con-currently, presumably preventing a dead
>  lock from actually occurring here.

	To my knowledge, not so: please see kern/86427.  This puppy
will choke my -CURRENT system in around ten days under a light
network load.  Under substantial traffic, less than three.
	I had hoped the network stack changes Robert Watson committed a
while back would fix this, but apparently not.
	This is a _major_ pain in the ass, and I look forward to the day
when someone drives a backtrace through its pulsing green heart.

						Robert Huff