Really poor performance on /dev/ttyv* only

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Mon Oct 31 23:03:02 PST 2005

I've just installed -CURRENT on a Dell Inspiron 6000, and I discover
that the keyboard response on virtual terminals (/dev/ttyv*) is very
slow.  If I keyboard repeat, the echo to the terminal is jerky, about
3 or 4 characters at a time with a marked delay in between.  Under X
or over the network there's no problem.  Has anybody else seen this?
The kernel isn't 100% GENERIC (I've disabled WITNESS and
WITNESS_SKIPSPIN, for example), but I can't see anything that would
explain this behaviour.

Greg