Problem remains with FreeBSD 6.0-RC1 as seen in RELENG_5

Philip Kizer pckizer at nostrum.com
Sat Oct 29 09:01:29 PDT 2005

On Oct 25, 2005, at 05:07, Robert Watson wrote:
> There are a couple of possible sources, so if this is reproduceable
> and you don't mind trying some diagnostic patches, I've attached a
> first one below.  This checks for the case where the looping in the
> unp_gc() routine becomes unbounded due to a possible lack of
> synchronization in the handling of marking and counting of
> marking.  It needs INVARIANTS to be compiled in to work; if it
> fires, this will suggest an avenue to explore.

Well, it's been a few days since the last time I heard from anyone
that had been helping me with this and I only recall seeing one
diagnostic patch to apply (that does not seem to have been triggered
in subsequent hangs).

Have there been any more patches I've missed that would help either
the problem or diagnostics?

With that, I had another pair of examples last night again, one for
each version of the OS:

     http://www.nostrum.com/hang/hang.RELENG_6-trace-2005-10-29-0.txt
     http://www.nostrum.com/hang/hang.RELENG_5-trace-2005-10-29-0.txt

Any other suggestions or pointers on how to identify this livelock?

Thank you,
Philip