MySQL Performance 6.0rc1

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at mysql.com
Thu Oct 27 06:53:16 PDT 2005

On Wednesday, 26 October 2005 at 10:57:26 +0100, Robert Watson wrote:

> You might also consider installing MySQL 4.0.x on freebsd and linux
> and see how they compare.  I've not looked closely, but I seem to
> remember observing that something changed between 4.0 and 4.1 that
> seriously impacted performance on FreeBSD, but not on Linux.

This is the first I've heard of this, but that doesn't mean you're
wrong.

> I've not had time to confirm or investigate this.

This would be interesting to know, doubtless, but please note that
MySQL 4.0 is either no longer supported or will reach that status in
the immediate future.  It would be more interesting to see what the
performance difference is between Linux and FreeBSD with MySQL 5.0,
which has just been released.

If you find reasons to believe that any problems you're seeing are a
MySQL problem, please let me know.

Greg