Timers and timing, was: MySQL Performance 6.0rc1

Mark Kirkwood markir at paradise.net.nz
Thu Oct 27 18:03:42 PDT 2005

Chuck Swiger wrote:
> Mark Kirkwood wrote:
>
>> Chuck Swiger wrote:
>>
>>> FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE i386
>>>        null function: 0.01278
>>>             getpid(): 0.51329
>>>               time(): 2.54771
>>>       gettimeofday(): 2.54982
>>>

>> Chuck - very interesting results. I happen to have a PIII 1Ghz running
>> 5.4-RELEASE so thought it would be interesting to reproduce your
>> numbers. My null and getpid pretty much do, but the time functions
>> seem much quicker on my machine - some sort of regression in
>> 5.4-STABLE maybe?
>>
>>        null function: 0.01578
>>             getpid(): 0.49136
>>               time(): 0.83031
>>       gettimeofday(): 0.78838
>>
>> However, we are still slower than Linux :-(.
>

> Interesting.  The 5.4 box was a Dell PowerEdge 2550 with a 933 Mhz P3, I
> think IIRC :-), running a kernel & world that's about two months old.
>
>> [Running a pretty much stock kernel, except for:
>>
>> #cpu        I486_CPU
>> #cpu        I586_CPU
>>
>> and timer.c is compiled w/o any optimization.]
>

> That's about what my kernel looks like, and I compiled using nothing but
> "cc -o timer timer.c" as well.

To add to the confusion :-), here are results from a dual PIII 1G (Tyan
S2510) running 6.0-RC1 (minus all debugging and malloc checking):

        null function: 0.01143
             getpid(): 0.51563
               time(): 5.27039
       gettimeofday(): 5.24489

Interesting - kinda like the 5.4-STABLE results (but 2x slower for
time....). Again a pretty stock kernel ('options SMP' added obviously).

regards

Mark