error messages with ed(4) and current

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Thu Oct 27 10:27:29 PDT 2005

In message: <200510270841.57297.thierry at herbelot.com>
            Thierry Herbelot <thierry at herbelot.com> writes:
: PS : This how the two "bogus" boards are detected under OpenBSD 3.6 (same
: problematic MAC addresses) :
: ...
: ne3 at pci0 dev 14 function 0 "Realtek 8029" rev 0x00: irq 11
: ne3: address 52:54:00:e5:36:06
: ...
: ne1 at isa0 port 0x300/32 irq 10
: ne1: NE2000 (RTL8019) Ethernet
: ne1: address 52:54:4c:1b:90:1b

hehe.  Well, here's my test box at work:

ed0: <Realtek Plug & Play Ethernet Card> at port 0x220-0x23f irq 5 pnpid RTL8019 on isa0
ed0: Ethernet address: 52:54:4c:19:0d:78
ed0: type RTL8019 (16 bit)

And I know of at least one PC Card (fairly rare one) that does this
too.  Maybe I've finally found a RTL8019 based PC Card?  I know that
NetBSD has code in their ne attachment for this, but I've not been
able to find with google anybody that's ever posted a dmesg with it in
it.

I think I know what's going on and how to fix it.  I just need to find
some quality time to look at the problem.

Warner