MySQL Performance 6.0rc1

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Wed Oct 26 06:04:02 PDT 2005

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005, Marian Hettwer wrote:

>>> my.cnf is pretty much my-medium.cnf on Debian and FreeBSD. Although,
>>> Debian has MySQL 4.1.11 and FreeBSD Ports has MySQL 4.1.14. As
>>> mentioned before, this benchmark here is a quick shot. However, the
>>> difference shouldn't be _that_ large (3600 vs. 14000).
>>
>> I think you will find people generally agree with this viewpoint. :-)
>>
> Ack. the difference is that huge... well, for some reasons I don't know,
> I think a look into Linux' way of threading may be worth, hm?

By the above, I mean that people will generally agree with the viewpoint
that the difference is huge, and shouldn't be.

The reason I suggested you try libthr is twofold:

(1) libthr has undergone more performance optimization for MySQL -- in
     fact, MySQL has been one of the specific workload targets for libthr.

(2) libthr uses a threading model more like the Linux model, and since
     MySQL has been heavily optimized for Linux, that also helps out.  Note
     performance optimization for applications is often one by looking at
     what the underlying OS does badly, and what it does well, and
     modifying the application to use more features where it does well, and
     fewer where it does badly.  This means, for example, that if Linux is
     optimized to support a small number of threads, and FreeBSD is
     optimized for a large number of threads, that MySQL developers who are
     targetting Linux will focus on having a small number of threads.
     This is an interesting property of plugging lots of parts together,
     and can't be ignored...  It goes both ways, of course.

Robert N M Watson