RC1 panic on boot

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Mon Oct 17 14:38:36 PDT 2005

On Monday 17 October 2005 05:12 pm, Andrew Thompson wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 04:54:02PM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
> > On Friday 14 October 2005 09:43 pm, Andrew Thompson wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >

> > > I am getting this panic on RC1, I am booting disc1 to install the
> > > system. Its a HP Omnibook 4150 and no PC cards are inserted.
> > >
> > > It has 5.4 on the drive at the moment which installed fine. I have
> > > attached a couple of dmesg logs.
> > >
> > > acpi_timer0: <24-bit timer at 3.579545MHz> port 0x8008-0x800b on acpi0
> > > cpu0: <ACPI CPU> on acpi0
> > > acpi_throttle0: <ACPI CPU Throttling> on cpu0
> > > acpi_lid0: <Control Method Lid Switch> on acpi0
> > > pcib0: <ACPI Host-PCI bridge> port 0xcf8-0xcff on acpi0
> >
> > Your LNKC pci_link device didn't probe and attach for some reason.  Can
> > you post your ASL somewhere?  ACPI is supposed to force all the link
> > devices to probe first.
>
> thanks,
>
> http://www.fud.org.nz/~andy/omnibook-4150.asl
> http://www.fud.org.nz/~andy/omnibook-4150.dsdt
>
> Ive been doing a binary search in between other things and have narrowed
> the breakage to late November 2004. mid nov boots fine and the 27th
> onwards panics, i'll keep going.

That would be because the new pci_link code was committed on November 23 and
isn't in 5.x.  I didn't see anything weird in your ASL.  LNKC looks fine, so
I'm not sure why it isn't attaching.  A good first step might be to add some
printf's in acpi_pci_link.c in the probe routine to see if the LNKC device is
even getting probed and if the probe is failing, why it is failing.