Patches for ports to install KLD source

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Thu Oct 13 22:14:45 PDT 2005

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 13:06, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> : For the nvidia port - I've only tried it on -current so I don't know if
> : it will work OK with the other versions it installs on different
> : systems/configurations.
>
> How is this different than setting PORTS_MODULES in your kernel config
> file?

PORTS_MODULES will upgrade your port if your ports tree is updated, this can
be a nasty suprise. nvidia-driver 6113 used to be the latest version of the
port that would work on my laptop and an automatic upgrade would have been
very frustrating - ie I think it's a POLA violation.

It makes building your kernel slower - it installs everything related to the
port instead of just rebuilding the KLD. For most people this probably isn't
a big issue but it's a drag when you are testing new kernels.

It also seems a bit less of a "big hammer" approach to the problem :)

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum