ufsstat - testers / feedback wanted!

Eric Anderson anderson at centtech.com
Thu Oct 13 12:41:39 PDT 2005

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <434E46C0.7060903 at centtech.com>, Eric Anderson writes:
>
>>[resend to -current for broader test audience]
>>
>>I've just finished the first version of ufsstat, a tool to show local
>>filesystem statistics much like nfsstat does for NFS.
>

> I would far to prefer to see a generic method that would work
> on all filesystems types, rather than a ufs specific tool.
>
> If you added counting code to the VOP_FOO() expansions, you should
> be able to gather statistics for all filesystem types.
>
> The collection could be controlled by a mount option if the impact
> is too big.

That's an idea I thought of as well, but wanted to start small, since I
really am new to C programming.  Now that I've done this part, I'll look
at the various vop_* pieces and see if it's something in my grasp.

 From what it sounds like, you'd also like to see per-mount point stats,
but from the vfs layer, right?   If that's true, then do you have any
suggestions on how to store the statistics for each mounted fs?

Thanks for the feedback!
Eric