Upgrading from FreeBSD 5.4 to 6 - Make world or binary install?

Jim Keller freebsd at contexthosting.net
Mon Oct 10 23:48:05 PDT 2005

Hello,
    I'm trying to determine which version of FreeBSD to install on a new
server I have coming in, since I know that the 5 branch is to become an
errata branch sooner rather than later. The migration guide from 4.x to
5.x recommends a clean install of FreeBSD followed by data restoration,
which makes sense considering the major changes in 5.x, especially to
the filesystem. However, will this still hold true for going from 5.x to
6? I'd prefer to install 5.4 for now then run a buildworld later and
bump it to 6, but will buildworld be a reasonable way of going from 5.4
to 6?

Thanks

-Jim Keller