Problem building 6.0b5 on 4.11

Joshua Coombs jcoombs at gwi.net
Fri Oct 7 17:30:49 PDT 2005

> I think you need to re-read the upgrade instructions. Unless I ma
> quite
> confused, the correct order is:
> make buildworld
> make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
> cp sys/${MACHINE}/conf/GENERIC.hints /boot/device.hints
> make installkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
> cd sys/boot ; make STRIP="" install
> <reboot in single user>
> /usr/src/etc/rc.d/preseedrandom
> mergemaster -p
> rm -rf /usr/include/g++
> make installworld
> mergemaster -i
> <reboot>
>
> You don't nuke the g++ headers until you have built both world and
> kernel
> and built and installed the new loader. That my not be the problem,
> but
> I am suspicious.

Yup, that's what I get for reading one day then starting the work the
next.  Restoring the headers doesn't change the outcome unfortunately.

I got another note saying I can't go from 4.11 to 6.0 directly,
instead I have to move to 5.4 first...

Can I bypass that if I build 6.0 on a system already running 6.0,
bring over /usr/src and /usr/obj, and proceed from there?

Joshua Coombs