USB 2.0 Support (re-post, more info)

Frode Nordahl frode at nordahl.net
Tue Nov 8 12:29:37 PST 2005

On 8. nov. 2005, at 20.38, Bob Johnson wrote:

> On 11/8/05, Nathan Vidican <nvidican at wmptl.com> wrote:
>> Any truth to the ehci(4) having stability problems in >= 6.0-RC1 ?
>> Or has
>> this
>> only been a problem in 5.4-RELEASE or earlier?
>>

> Check the man page: in 5.4 it says the driver is very buggy, and I
> certainly wasn't able to use it on my laptop.  I haven't tested 6.0 on
> my laptop yet.

FWIW, many problems I had with ehci(4) in 5.4 are now gone i 6.0-
RELEASE.

And the fact that it is now part of GENERIC should mean that the
developers believe it has become more stable.

I have not tested it extensively yet, but now I at least can boot a
machine with a USB 2.0 drive connected without it hanging forever
after "waiting for SCSI devices to settle". And it also works without
disabling onboard USB 1.0 / USB 1.1.

I have yet to test pulling mounted drives during I/O and other nasty
stuff :-)

Frode Nordahl
frode at nordahl.net