FreeBSD 6.0 Released: problem with HP Pavillion

Chris racerx at makeworld.com
Sat Nov 5 10:52:51 PST 2005

Baris Simsek wrote:
> hello,
> Unfortunately i couldn't booted with any version of FreeBSD on HP
> pavillion zv5000 notebook. same result with FreeBSD 6.0
> It always reboots while loading kernel.
> I tried latest NetBSD and it also have same problem. I'll try also
> OpenBSD to make sure about if it is connected to *BSD.
> 1 hour ago i installed OpenSolaris, and there is no problem. I installed
> linux before on it without any problem.
> I tried some boot options such as disabling ACPI. but it didn't effect.
> Sorry i don't have more details because it goes reboot when start to
> load kernel. May be, i should make kernel hacking, if i can do.
> I just want to know that, is there anybody has same problem, or is there
> anybody using FreeBSD on HP Pavilion?
> Although, thanks for your efforts to release FreeBSD 6. I hope i'll
> solve some performance problems (for example MySQL performance problem
> in 4.X discussed here before)
> regards,

As you may or may not know - HP/Compaq has a habbit of changing/adding
things to the firmware of other hardware. IE: take a normal Adaptec SCSI
card, give it to HP, and they insert proprietary code.

This is one of the main reasons *BSD seems to fail on HP/Compaq devices.
Not all mind you, but a fair amount.

Sometimes it helps to strip out some of the things in an HP device and
install a vanilla chunk of hardware when installing *BSD.

IE: - if a certain HP has the above mentioned SCSI card, remove it and
install an Adapted.

That has worked for me in the past.

Just a thought.

--
Best regards,
Chris

Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!!