Alright you primitive screwheads, LISTEN UP!!

Svein Halvor Halvorsen svein-freebsd-current at theloosingend.net
Thu May 19 23:47:37 PDT 2005

* Christopher JS Vance [2005-05-20 16:21 +1000]
>  I was told some years ago that the telephone directory (-ies?) in
>  Iceland index primarily by personal name, with patrionymic or family
>  name being subsidiary.

In Iceland it is very uncommon to have family names as such. You usually
take your father's name and add "sonur" if you're a boy, or "dóttir" if
you're a girl. Your name does not change in marriage, and your whole
family hence have no name in common. I'm therefore not surprised if the
Icelanders do as you say, and sort firstly on the given name, as that
would make more sense than to sort on your father's given name, which
would otherwise have been the case.