HEADSUP: OpenBSD dhclient incoming

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Tue Jun 7 14:31:02 GMT 2005

On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 05:10:25AM -0700, Randy Bush wrote:
> >> for those of us who use a lot of the kinkier hacks of isc dhclient
> >> (and dhcpd) [0], i presume we will still be able to install this
> >> week's isc snapshots and keep runing, yes?
> >>
> >> [0] - dynamic dns update, wifi ssid search list, ...
> >
> > It depends.  This is a fork of the isc client so some of that will still
> > be supported, for example dhclient.conf is still supported.  Other stuff
> > many require the use of the isc one which will be tricky because they
> > have vastly differnet modes of operation and thus the startup scripts
> > scripts are different.
> >
> > I intend to treat this as code we can modify so if we need features,
> > they can be added.  We've also heard form Ted Lemon recently and he's
> > working on simplifying the ISC code so at some point in the future, we
> > could switch back if that were warranted.
>
> ummm.  maybe i was insufficiently clear.  i am happy to keep running
> isc snapshot(s).  i just wanted to be sure you were not changing the
> api on which they sit.

The API hasn't changed (the only kernel change added a notification to
devd), but the rc.d scripts have changed to the point that I'm not sure
the ISC code will work with them.  I suspect you would get pretty close
if you brought back the old dhclient script, added the nostart keyword,
and commented out the new devd entry.

-- Brooks