Problems with OpenBSD dhclient

Eric Anderson anderson at centtech.com
Wed Jul 20 01:42:42 GMT 2005

Darren Pilgrim wrote:
> From: Eric Anderson [mailto:anderson at centtech.com]
>
>>Darren Pilgrim wrote:
>>
>>>No.  Multiple interfaces with addresses in the same subnet (or even
>>>the same address) is a routing issue.  Dhclient is not the correct
>>>tool to solve routing issues.
>>
>>Well, it is a routing issue, but it is one that dhclient needs to be
>>able to gracefully deal with.   It should do *something* obviously, so
>

>>what is it you propose for it to do?
>

> Nothing.  If the underlying OS tells dhclient that the address isn't
> valid for the interface in question, then dhclient should handle that
> and probably do something graceful like try to get another IP address or
> at least fail cleanly.  It shouldn't be guessing at whether or not the
> requested action is reasonable.

Ok, well, that was the edge case which (I believe) I mentioned could be
optional as an rc.conf setting maybe.

Anyway, I was merely attempting a rough draft proposal of scenarios that
FreeBSD needs to handle, with some suggestions to handling them.

Thanks for the input.  Unfortunately, this thread will probably die a
slow death into the depths of the archives..

Eric