dhclient.conf for ath wireless

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Tue Jul 5 16:00:54 GMT 2005

> Rob B wrote:
> > At 06:18 PM 5/07/2005, Erik Nørgaard wrote:
> >
> >> in dhclient.conf. But on boot, dhclient enters into an infinite loop
> >> bringing up and down the interface, until I break it. I have to
> >> manually run "ifconfig ath0 ssid MYAP mode 11g" and then start
> >> dhclient manually to force it to associate correctly with MYAP.
> >
> > Have you tried putting the appropriate ifconfig command line into
> > /etc/start_if.ath0.  That works for me.
>
> Thanks, that was the keyword I needed. I searched google and at it
> appears that in -current the start_if script may be replaced by setting
> the options in the rc.conf:
>
>    ifconfig_ath0="ssid MYAP mode 11g DHCP"
>
> It doesn't seem to be appropriate if you hook up to various networks,
> such as at home, Starbucks etc. would be neat to have the startup script
> to run through the preconfigured networks and pick the first one that works.

Check out Tobias Roth's profile.
https://projects.fsck.ch/profile

It will allow you to define any number of "profiles" and the first one
that matches our current connection will do a unionfs mount of a MD file
system over /etc. It must contain a new rc.conf and may contain any
other /etc files specific to a given location. I typically have two
start_if files (one for my wireless and another of the wired connection)
and a resolv.conf file in each profile.

It is a bit awkward to set up, but once set up, it just works. If I ever
have the time, I want to write some utilities to simplify setup and
management of profiles.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)