Devd event from GEOM?

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Tue Jan 25 06:31:52 PST 2005

In message: <Pine.NEB.3.96L.1050125093919.75661H-100000 at fledge.watson.org>
            Robert Watson <rwatson at freebsd.org> writes:
:
: On Mon, 24 Jan 2005, M. Warner Losh wrote:
:
: > : Since they constitute different "things" with quite different management
: > : properties.  This also provides additional contextual information: rather
: > : than devd having to guess what type of object a device node is using name
: > : matching, by learning about it through geom or the network stack, it knows
: > : what kind it is up front in a strong way.
: >
: > While I tend to agree, I do think that GEOM is the wrong layer to
: > announce things from.  The more correct layer would be /dev, since you
: > are again assuming that a GEOM that's created with name foo is
: > accessible via /dev/foo.
:
: So suppose I'm listening to a devd socket to try and identify storage
: devices arriving that I can automount.  How do I know which device
: announcements are for storage devices?

Hmmmm, once upon a time I'd have said 'stat the device, and you know'
since those would be block devices....  The trouble is that we don't
know at that level either, yet when the GEOM even happens, how can we
be sure that we win that race?

Warner