beating mergemaster to /etc/rc.d

Anton Berezin tobez at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jan 12 03:59:56 PST 2005

On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 09:50:34PM +1100, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-Jan-12 09:33:00 +0100, Anton Berezin wrote:
> >A colleague of mine came up with an idea which I did not see before:
> >
> >Optionally, if CVS revisions are different, and CVS repository is
> >available, fetch the file with the same revision as the installed one
> >from CVS, and compare it with the installed one.  If they are identical,
> >mergemaster can safely assume that the file was not modified by hand and
> >can therefore overwrite it without doing a diff loop hoop-la.

> Note that there are still risks in blindly applying CVS changes.  There
> have been a couple of cases where defaults have changed meaning that
> corresponding changes to local system configuration is required to
> retain previous behaviour.

Yeah, the possibility to shoot yourself if the foot is always there.  On
the other hand, I would expect that 1) changes in defaults should be in
UPDATING, and 2) most people qi<enter> such files (say, for
/etc/defaults/rc.conf) without looking too closely into the actual
diffs.

\Anton.
--
The moronity of the universe is a monotonically increasing function. --
Jarkko Hietaniemi