make broken in -current

Sean McNeil sean at mcneil.com
Sat Feb 12 22:21:11 GMT 2005

Even though it appears to work just fine on a make buildworld and for
most things, make will sit in an infinite loop when I do the following:

cd /usr/ports/shells/bash2
make distclean
make

when I cd to the work directory and do a make -d A I get the following:

Global:GRAM_H = parser-built
Global:.MAKEFILE_LIST = /usr/share/mk/sys.mk /etc/make.conf ..
/usr/share/mk/bsd.compat.mk .. /usr/share/mk/bsd.cpu.mk .. .. Makefile
..
Searching for .depend...failed.
Searching for .depend.../usr/share/mk...failed.

and stuck.

a bt says it is sitting at /usr/src/usr.bin/make/main.c:821

This line looks bad.  cp is incremented but ptr is the determinator.

My machine is an amd64, but this code should cause problems for any
machine.

Cheers,
Sean