Console freeze but still alive

haro at kgt.co.jp haro at kgt.co.jp
Wed Feb 9 02:13:33 GMT 2005

From: Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie _at_ le-hen.org>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 23:51:28 +0100
::Hi,
::
::my very new kernel [1] makes my console freeze but I can still pings
::the box and even login with ssh.  When I enter the debugger, the
::console "de-freezes" while in but as soon as I type "cont", it freezes
::again.
::
::I have noticed this problem two or three times for the last few days.
::My kernel configuration is attached.
::
::I would like to have some pointers to be able to provide some useful
::debugging informations.  Note that it would be better if it can be done
::through ssh since I have no console cable, but if it's needed I will
::hand-write DDB output.
::
::Thanks.
::Best regards,
::
::[1] FreeBSD 6.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 6.0-CURRENT #57: Tue Feb  8 00:08:50 CET 2005
::--
::Jeremie Le Hen
::jeremie at le-hen dot org

Hi,

I also get the similar problem on my Sony Vaio notebook.

Funny thing is that, console seems to be alive, and only
text-mode output from user land processes seems to be dead.
I can even logon from the console blindly, then type 'startx'
to get X-Window up and running normally. ;-P

Messages coming from with in the kernel seems to work ok, which
also seems to flash the user-land messages buffered all at once.

The kernel is if from 2005/2/9 00:00 JST, and user-land few weeks old.

Thanks,
 Haro
           _ _    Munehiro (haro) Matsuda
 /|\ |_|  |_|_|   2-8-8 Shinjuku, Shinjuku-ku Tokyo 160-0022, Japan
                  Tel: +81-3-3225-0767  Fax: +81-3-3225-0740
                  Email: haro at kgt.co.jp