fetch extension - use local filename from content-disposition header

Matt Emmerton matt at gsicomp.on.ca
Thu Dec 29 19:08:28 PST 2005

> Sean Bryant wrote:
> > Barney Wolff wrote:

> >> Have you considered the security implications of this option?
> >>

> > Its just an extra option. I'm sure the details could be summed up in the
> > man page.
>
> I think what Barney means is that if you run fetch(1) as root and the
> server returns the filename as "/sbin/init" bad things will happen.
> The data returned in Content-Disposition should be used with caution.

Would checking to see if the target file exists, and if so, abort the
operation and display a warning be sufficient to address the security
issues?  Of course, we'd need some kind of "force" option to override this
for the foot-shooting folks, and -f is already taken, but that could easily
be documented as a "limitation" of this option.

Regards,
--
Matt Emmerton