if_dc.c causes page fault while in kernel mode; coredump; reproducible

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Tue Dec 27 21:38:18 PST 2005

In message: <20051228002430.GA27330 at echobase.hoth.dk>
            "Martin P. Hansen" <mph at lima.dyndns.dk> writes:
: On Tue, 27 Dec 2005, Gleb Smirnoff wrote:
: >   please try out the attached patch.
:
: It works. Thank you very much.
:
: Just of curiosity, why is the NIC still active when the system shuts
: down? I mean is the ``IFF_DRV_RUNNING'' _the_ method to stop an
: interface?

Just because an interface has been stopped, doesn't mean that its ISR
won't be called because another (shared) interrupt happens.

: I though in a simple setup one would disable the devices when
: shutting down by disabling interrupts or raising the interrupt
: priority level.

Without shared interrupts, one can usually get away with this...

Warner