SSH login takes very long time...sometimes

Michael A. Koerber mak at ll.mit.edu
Fri Dec 23 05:09:05 PST 2005

All,

  I have three machines that have had 5.4 and 6.0 installed.  Two of the three machines have very
well behaved "ssh".  However, the machine (laptop) named OBOE does not.

  Specifically "ssh oboe" will (most of the time) hang for around one minute before asking for a
prompt.  However, if I'm logged into OBOE and "ssh BSD" (one of the other machines) a password is
requested within a couple seconds.  (I said most of the time, since on occasion I can reboot OBOE
and ssh will work just fine...hmmm.)

  I have looked through the /var/log files for clues and skimmed "man ssh" for time out related
stuff, but no luck.

  Where should I start looking for clues?

  All machines have had clean installs from "newfs'd" drive under both 5.4 and 6.0 so I'm sure no
left over configs are getting propagated.