HEADS UP: Release schedule for 2006

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Thu Dec 22 13:30:57 PST 2005

On Thu, Dec 22, 2005 at 01:10:19PM -0800, Jo Rhett wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 11:08:07PM +0100, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> > So, when will you fix it?  Or hire someone to fix it?  FreeBSD after
> > all is mostly a volunteer operation.
>
> I and many others have offered to work on this.  The core team has
> repeatedly stated that they won't integrate the efforts, which makes
> os-upgrade capability minimal and easily broken. (see current efforts)

This statement makes no sense.  The core team wouldn't have much to
do with this other than possibly being involved in making any service
official.  Also, approval is never given to include a non-existent
feature.  Easy, binary updates sound like a great idea, but without
seeing actual code thats all anyone can say other than offering advice.
If volunteering is conditional on acceptance of the work, that's a
chicken-egg problem and is not resolvable.  We simply can't maintain
quality if we accept non-existent code just because the idea sounds
good.

-- Brooks