Panic and LOR on -CURRENT with ath

Andrea Campi andrea+freebsd_current at webcom.it
Thu Dec 22 12:43:01 PST 2005

On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 10:13:41PM -0800, Sam Leffler wrote:
> >Does this only need someone to sit down and code a solution, or is that
> >a broader and not only technical issue?
>
> It's a design issue with implications.  The net80211 ioctl code is
> typically invoked from drivers w/ the driver lock held to guard against
> changes in state used by code that is invoked from an interrupt thread.

Yes, now I do remember you mentioning this before. So it looks like this
isn't something I could help with, not unless a significant investment of
time (which I sadly lack). But I might find it in a few months if nobody
gets around to it sooner, as it would make a nice project for a networking
course I have in the next semester.

So basically I either have to live with it or turn off WITNESS, right?

> The info you want is gone by the time the crash happens.  Last time I
> chased a similar problem I did some private hacks to write-protect mbufs
> to catch unexpected modification.  You might try removing ipfw or using
> an alternate packet filter if that's feasible.  I wouldn't be surprised
> if this is related to ipfw and/or divert sockets.

Will try switching to pf during the holidays (I've been meaning to do it
but I kept procrastinating, so thanks for giving me an incentive ;-)

Bye,
	Andrea

--
                   Press every key to continue.