puc fails to attach serial ports

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Tue Dec 13 11:36:54 PST 2005

On Tuesday 13 December 2005 12:00 pm, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 11:01:42AM -0500, John Baldwin wrote:
> > Because sio(4) only includes sio_puc.c in the kernel if you have 'puc' in
> > your kernel config, and the puc kernel module only includes the puc
> > files, it doesn't include sio_puc.c and ppc_puc.c.  uart has the same
> > issue as well. Looking at the three attachments, there's no reason for
> > them to be dependent on puc, they don't actually call any symbols in the
> > puc(4) kernel module itself, so they can be compiled into kernels w/o puc
> > without causing any harm.  Then loading puc as a module would work.
> > Here's a patch:
>
> Isn't there another way?  It just seems wrong to include *_puc bits in
> the kernel if you don't have 'puc' in your kernel.  There are some
> working on trimming down the kernel for embedded purposes and this patch
> seems counter to that effort.

Well, you could have sio_puc, ppc_puc, and uart_puc modules, and you could do:

kldload sio_puc.ko
kldload ppc_puc.ko
kldload uart_puc.ko
kldload puc.ko

However, that type of approach will give us a huge profileration of modules
and make them even less useful and a PITA to use than they are now.  Also, in
this case we are talking about a total of about 6 short functions (2 per
device), and even then you only get them if you put sio, ppc, uart, etc. in
your kernel.