FreeBSD 5.3b7and poor ata performance

fandino fandino at ng.fadesa.es
Fri Oct 15 11:06:14 PDT 2004

Hello,

  This is an interesting issue. While I was installing  FreeBSD 5.3b7
I wonder about the performance that the new branch will bring to my
computer, and it was a deception how bad FreeBSD performs compared
with Linux on the same hardware (even I repeat the test on different PC
with identical results).

Tests were done win bonnie++ 1.93c and the results were Linux two
times faster than FreeBSD using the same hardware.

GNU/Linux 2.4.18 with ext2:               56848 K/sec
FreeBSD 5.3b7 with default fs:            26347 K/sec
FreeBSD 5.3b7 ata raid0* (two disks):     26131 K/sec
FreeBSD 5.3b7 geom stripe* (two disks):   30063 K/sec

* these results are even more poor. Each disk of
   the raid give a throughput of approx. 15000 K/sec

Please see the results here:
http://195.55.55.164/tests/bsd.txt
http://195.55.55.164/tests/linux.txt
http://195.55.55.164/tests/dmesg.txt

I'm unable to explain why the performance is so bad, perhaps
someone can explain this low throughput.

Thank you.

developers, shell access is available if necessary. Contact me by
private mail.