geom mirror problem

John Hay jhay at icomtek.csir.co.za
Thu Oct 7 06:24:36 PDT 2004

On Thu, Oct 07, 2004 at 11:06:56AM +0200, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 07, 2004 at 10:59:20AM +0200, John Hay wrote:
> +> > But you still need:
> +> >
> +> > 	http://people.freebsd.org/~pjd/patches/gmirror.2.patch
> +> >
> +> > Could you try again with both those patches?
> +> > If it works, could you try only with gmirror.2.patch?
> +>
> +> But that is the same as v1.34 of g_mirror.c? I did apply that, also
> +> 1.35 which added the "if (sc == NULL)" check. I haven't added 1.36
> +> yet though.
>
> With 1.35 race is still possible, please try 1.36. and forget about
> gmirror.2.patch.

Ok with an updated RELENG_5 and g_mirror.c patched with v 1.34, 1.35
and 1.36 and also with your gmirror.patch, which adds g_waitidlelock()
I still get the setrootbyname failed message and then it goes to the
mountroot> prompt.

I'll try without the gmirror.patch and see how that goes, but it will
be a few hours because syncing takes a while on two 120G disks.

Something that still bothers me are those

GEOM_MIRROR: Cannot update metadata on disk ad0 (error=1).

messages I get with the standard RELENG_5 kernel. Why do it only
happen to ad0 and never to ad2? Is it really a write error or
did the error happen somewhere else inside geom?

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay at icomtek.csir.co.za / jhay at FreeBSD.org