amd sitting on ldaps port

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Wed Oct 6 18:30:04 PDT 2004

In the last episode (Oct 06), Sean McNeil said:
> On Wed, 2004-10-06 at 13:59, Dan Nelson wrote:
> > In the last episode (Oct 06), Sean McNeil said:
> > > Looking at /etc/services is states that 636 is for ldaps, but I see that
> > > amd is using it:
> > >
> > > server# sockstat | grep 636
> > > root     amd        468   5  tcp4   *:636                 *:*
> >
> > That's just a random port rpcbind assigned to the "amd" rpc service.
> > If you reboot I bet it'll bind to a different port.  Run "rpcinfo -p
> > localhost" to see all the local port numbers assigned to RPC clients.
>
> OK, but aren't there rules about rpc allowing assigned ports like that?

Not as far as I know.  I suppose bindresvport() could be changed to
walk /etc/services and only use one of the 450 reserved ports not
listed.  Another alternative is to set the
net.inet.ip.portrange.lowlast sysctl a little higher; 700 maybe.
600-1024 is the portrange that has been historically assigned as "local
port numbers that root processes can use".

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com