fsck shortcomings

Michael Nottebrock michaelnottebrock at gmx.net
Sun Nov 28 19:31:29 PST 2004

Scott Long wrote:

> Michael Nottebrock wrote:
>
>> I recently had a filesystem go bad on me in such a way that it was
>> recognized way bigger than it actually was, causing fsck to fail while
>> trying to allocate and equally astronomic amount of memory (and my
>> machine already had 1 Gig of mem + 2 Gig swap available).
>> I just newfs'd and I'm now in the process of restoring data, however,
>> I googled a bit on this and it seems that this kind of fs corruption
>> is occurring quite often, in particular due to power failures.
>

> Yes, very troubling.  You said that the alternate superblocks didn't
> help?

Yes, although that might have been bad luck - I didn't realise something was
wrong with the fs right away.

Since I had background fsck enabled, the filesystem got mounted anyway, but
the system hung at executing dhclient, so I fiddled around with disabling
acpi/apic & other stuff, assuming that something was wrong with the NIC or the
NIC driver... I guess the alternate superblock might have worked if I had
recognized the problem at once and tried fsck_ffs -b right away instead of
mounting the bad fs over and over while trying to fix the NIC.

    ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org