missing weak symbol for pthread_equal in libc

Daniel Eischen deischen at freebsd.org
Sun Nov 14 15:46:34 PST 2004

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004, Sean McNeil wrote:

> I think pthread_equal should be added to libc.  I found it is used in
> libxml2 and a link to that library fails without -pthread.

The pthread_foo() in libc are mainly for libc usage.  If applications
want to use pthread_foo(), they really should be linking to the (a)
threads library.  Look at it this way -- if we didn't use any pthread
functions in libc, there wouldn't be _any_ pthread stubs in libc.
Also, we could have used __libc_lock(), __libc_unlock(), etc, in
libc and have the threads libraries override those functions instead
of using _pthread_*().

pthread_equal() would be kinda harmless in libc, but you get my
point above, no?

--
Dan Eischen