5.3-RELEASE: WARNING - WRITE_DMA interrupt timout - what does it mean?

Mike Tancsa mike at sentex.net
Tue Nov 9 18:37:02 PST 2004

At 06:01 PM 09/11/2004, Zoltan Frombach wrote:
>I just upgraded to 5.3-RELEASE a few days ago. This morning this line got
>into my system log file:
>Nov  9 06:14:03 www kernel: ad0: WARNING - WRITE_DMA interrupt was seen
>but timeout fired LBA=2491143
>
>I've never seen this message before. Can someone please explain what it
>means? With Thanks,

http://archive.pilgerer.org/mharc/cgi-bin/mesg.cgi?a=freebsd-current&i=40A21BF1.4080502%40DeepCore.dk

A useful set of utils if your HD and BIOS support it (most do these days)
is in
/usr/ports/sysutils/smartmontools/

It can tell you all sorts of info about your HD and might shed some light
on the problems you are having.

         ---Mike