FreeBSD 6.0 and onwards

Yuval Levy freebsd-current at sfina.com
Mon Nov 8 21:35:25 PST 2004

Brad Knowles wrote:

>	That's not possible.  You can't continually accrete more and more
> patches on top of one another.  Sooner or later, you have to make
> discontinuous changes.  FreeBSD works to make these as smooth and as
> infrequent as reasonably possible, but they still have to
> occasionally be made.

I was not thinking of patches, but rather of a clean rewrite with backward
compatibility. I understand it is not always possible and there are trade
offs in terms of time and ressources dedicated to the effort. I appreciate
the effort of the FreeBSD project to make disruption as infrequent as
reasonably possible and understand that occasionally disruption is
inevitable.

All I wanted to contribute to the discussion was my preference for slow and
steady progress of a stable environment with clearly defined and possibly
automated upgrade path rather than quantum leaps requiring a fully fledged
migration.

Yuval Levy