portupgrade -af on FreeBSD 5.3 and I get two conftest signal 12 core dumps ?!!

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Sat Nov 6 19:32:07 PST 2004

In the last episode (Nov 06), Zoltan Frombach said:
> I've recently migrated to FreeBSD 5.3. I just upgraded my system to
> the brand new 5.3-RELEASE version, and first of all, I have to tell
> you that it works really great!! I love it! Thank you guys for the
> great work!!
>
> But I run into a somewhat weird problem. After the successful
> migration to 5.3-RELEASE from a previos 5.2-CURRENT version, when I
> recompile all installed ports with 'portupgrade -af', I get this in
> my system log file:
>
> Nov  6 16:59:54 www kernel: pid 8927 (conftest), uid 0: exited on signal 12  (core dumped)
> Nov  6 17:14:16 www kernel: pid 2733 (conftest), uid 0: exited on signal 12  (core dumped)
>
> But portupgrade proceeds and seemingly re-compiles all installed
> ports anyway (at least this is what I believe). When I look for the
> .core file(s), I can't find any on my hard drive anywhere! If the
> core was really dumped, then where did the .core files go? And how
> can I find out which port(s) are causing these problems? What is this
> signal 12 with conftest means anyway? I couldn't find anything about
> it by Googling...

#define SIGSYS 12 /* non-existent system call invoked */

This is an unusual error to be getting, but it's possible that one of
the ports you tried to install tried to check for a syscall that either
doesn't exist or that you don't have enabled in your kernel (like the
POSIX realtime extensions, for example).  It might also be caused by
one of the linux-emulation ports trying to do something the Linux
compat code doesn't handle.  If all your ports built fine, don't worry
about it.

You can't find the corefiles because they would have been in the port's
work directory which gets cleaned up automatically during the upgrade.

> And one more question. When I cvsupped all-src for FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE, I
> used the RELENG_5_3 branch. Or should I have used RELENG_5_3_0 ? What is
> the difference between the two now, as FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE was just
> released this afternoon? I guess, nothing. Am I correct? Or should I cvsup
> RELENG_5_3_0 ? Please advice!

Depends on what you want.  RELENG_5_3_0_RELEASE is a tag (not a branch)
that points to what got burned onto the 5.3 release CDs.  It doesn't
change.  RELENG_5_3 is a branch based off of 5.3, that will contain
only security fixes.  RELENG_5 is the -stable branch that will
eventually have 5.4, 5.6, etc branched from it.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com