gvinum remains broken in 5.3-RELEASE?

Wilko Bulte wb at freebie.xs4all.nl
Sat Nov 6 09:39:16 PST 2004

On Sat, Nov 06, 2004 at 06:03:20PM +0100, Matthias Schuendehuette wrote..
> Hello Wilko,
>
> Am Samstag, 6. November 2004 16:21 schrieb Wilko Bulte:
> > On Sat, Nov 06, 2004 at 11:26:16AM +0100, Matthias Schuendehuette
> > wrote..
> > > I cannot imagine to deliver/sell CDs with 5.3-RELEASE on it with a
> > > broken gvinum RAID5 where the fix is available for (roughly) 2
> > > weeks now.
> >
> > You obviously have NO idea what it means to build releases for
> > all the architectures etc etc.
>
> My apologies if I made you upset...

Oh, not upset.  Problem is that there are most likely lots of other
bugs still in 5.3-R.

Thing is, at some point we just need to call it a day and put the
generated bits on the ftp-servers.  Otherwise there would never
be a RELEASE..

> Perhaps you're right - those people who play around with (g)vinum aren't
> beginners anymore and as such capable to cvsup to 5-STABLE anyway. But
> it remains kind of unlovely to ship already solved bugs... (IMHO)

True.

--
Wilko Bulte				wilko at FreeBSD.org