USB Key Disk Boot

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Thu Nov 4 20:40:41 PST 2004

In message: <20041102104503.D63929 at carver.gumbysoft.com>
            Doug White <dwhite at gumbysoft.com> writes:
: Note that I creatd that from a second system and dd'd the flash card over
: so UFS wouldnt' burn out the flash, but I suppose you could install direct
: to it if you odn't plan on writing to the key afterward.  UFS does exra
: bad things to flash (think superblock updates), so you don't want to
: leave it read/write for very long.

The superblock update isn't so bad because most flash devices wear
average.  The access time update, however, tends to put a lot of load
on the part.  Even that isn't so bad.  We have several flash cards
that we run read/write and rarely do they go bad unless left that way
for months.

Warner