More running-with-scissors and fsck.

David Gilbert dgilbert at dclg.ca
Tue Nov 2 22:26:59 PST 2004

Well... the recoverdisk is a cool tool.  I can see it coming in handy
many times.  While there isn't much documentation, I've tended to use it
by creating a vnode md disk of exactly the right size to recover the
partition in question.

And I have a problem now.  recover disk finishes fine.  In fact, of the
40G disk, it only can't recover about 210K.  That's a tiny fraction of
1% unrecoverd.

However, it's all right around something key.  When I run fsck on the
recovered image, fsck continuously complains that it can't create
lost+found.

On the origional disk, of the 210K that's bad, most of it is near the
start of the partition.  I suspect inode 1 and friends are not recovered
... and thus all zeroed in the new md partition.

So... 99.99% of the data is there in good form.  How do I recover this
... force a root to exist?

create an identical partion, newfs it and blindly copy the first 200 or
so K?

Need someone who knows something about the structure I'm stomping on.

Dave.