asymmetric NFS transfer rates

Andre Guibert de Bruet andy at siliconlandmark.com
Tue Nov 2 08:50:24 PST 2004

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004, Emanuel Strobl wrote:

> Am Dienstag, 2. November 2004 13:47 schrieb Claus Guttesen:
>>> problems, but I'm wondering why I
>>> can't write to my 5.3-stable NFS server more that
>>> 3,5MB/s while reading gives
>>> me 9,5MB/s?
>>
>> Are you using IDE- or SCSI-disks? Reading is faster
>> than writing on IDE.
>
> Like I wrote, the server writes more than 35MB/s onto the RAID5 array. Last
> time I saw a hard drive which has problems with 10MB/s was 6 years ago, no
> matter of IDE or SCSI.

You are going by the assumption that the benchmarks are run using
transfers of a single, contiguous, abnormally huge file. In the real
world, things aren't that peachy. Remember to factor in things such as
seek times, drive response latency, driver locking and contention on
Giant (This is a SCSI RAID card, isn't it?), among other things...

Regards,
Andy