Pkg-based base system.

Tim Kientzle tim at kientzle.com
Tue Mar 16 09:56:34 PST 2004

Gary W. Swearingen wrote:
> Johan Pettersson <manlix at demonized.net> writes:
>  ... so that we don't have four or more
> teams maintaining and documenting a similar userland, while having the
> many people interested in kernel development able to continue their
> rather separate innovations.

As a FreeBSD developer who spends his (limited) time
almost exclusively on userland issues, I must
politely disagree:  the various BSD projects innovate
quite a bit in the userland.  Witness NetBSD's work
on RCng or OpenBSD's sponsorship of OpenSSH for two
very prominent examples.

I've always appreciated that FreeBSD is a fully
integrated userland and kernel together.  In my
mind, this is a big advantage of FreeBSD over Linux.

Tim