[acpi-jp 3030] Re: API to turn off the display

Nate Lawson nate at root.org
Fri Jan 30 10:36:42 PST 2004

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Anish Mistry wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 January 2004 04:07 pm, Taku YAMAMOTO wrote:
> >
> > I wrote a driver that handles what John told.
> >
> > http://access.cent.saitama-u.ac.jp/~taku/freebsd/acpi_vid-20031013.tar.gz
> > MD5 (acpi_vid-20031013.tar.gz) = adbfa6931e505544fb784e00c7b974e7
> >
> > This driver uses ACPI video extension to control display switching and
> > backlight brightness. So working ACPI is a requisition for this driver.
> >
> > Whether it does or does not work depends heavily on how well the BIOS
> written,
> > however, I hope it worth trying.
> >
> > Suggestions, working/not-working reports etc are very appreciated.
>
> It attaches and detects the displays:
> littleguy# sysctl hw.acpi.video
> hw.acpi.video.crt0.active: 0
> hw.acpi.video.lcd0.active: 1
> hw.acpi.video.tv0.active: 0
>
> But trying to turn off the LCD doesn't work:
> littleguy# sysctl hw.acpi.video.lcd0.active=0
> hw.acpi.video.lcd0.active: 1 -> 1
>
> Tried to connect the tvout and activate it, but the sysctl showed 0, even
> though it was displaying to the TV.  Twiddling this sysctl while the tv
> out was active yielded the same results as the lcd, except it stayed at 0.
>
> My laptop's asl:
> http://am-productions.biz/debug/littleguy.asl

Thanks for writing this driver, Yamamoto-san.  A few comments:

1. Use acpi_UserNotify() like in acpi_acad.c so userland knows about
notifies.

2. Use the package convenience routines like acpi_cmbatt.c (routines in
acpivar.h and acpi_package.c).

3. Remove power_profile hooks and use /etc/power_profile and
/etc/defaults/rc.conf (similar to acpi_cpu).  This way every driver does
not have performance/economy sysctls but instead they can be set in
rc.conf.

4. You may find some examples from /sys/i386/acpica/acpi_toshiba.c useful.

I would like to import this after some work.

Thanks,
-Nate