API to turn off the display

David Gilbert dgilbert at dclg.ca
Thu Jan 29 09:01:16 PST 2004

>>>>> "Julian" == Julian Elischer <julian at elischer.org> writes:

Julian> On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
>>  I find DPMS works for me..
>>
>> xset dpms force off
>>
>> My Monitor section in the X config has..  Option "DPMS"
>>
>> My video chipset is an ATI Rage 128 Mobility in a Dell Inspiron
>> 8000.

Julian> On my Inspiron 7500 it "blanks the display" but doesn't turn
Julian> off the backlight.

Julian> rage (something) mobility..

On my Dell-D800, the acpi_vid thing does probe:

acpi_vid0: <ACPI video extension> on acpi0

... but doesn't do anything on suspend.  "xset dpms force off" does
work, however.

Dave.