Project Evil: The Evil Continues

Rudolf Cejka cejkar at fit.vutbr.cz
Tue Jan 27 03:19:23 PST 2004

Bill Paul wrote (2004/01/27):
> a) you only gave me one instruction where the crash occured, rather
> than showing me the entire stack trace and console display so I could
> see what other messages (if any) appeared on the console when it happened,

This and other points: Ok, ok ;o) I just waited, how much you are
interested in which things. As the first show, you can download
ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.cz/pub/FreeBSD-local/ndis/gdb.out.bz2 , where is
output of these gdb commands:

file kernel.debug
core-file /var/crash/vmcore.14
bt
up 12
disas
quit

> b) you
> didn't tell me what speed/mode you were using at the time,

Is output of ifconfig sufficient? In other case, I do know how get
this information.

cbg0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet6 fe80::207:40ff:fec1:b188%cbg0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x4
        inet 147.229.12.36 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 147.229.12.255
        ether 00:07:40:c1:b1:88
        media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect (DS/11Mbps)
        status: associated
        ssid FITZAM 1:FITZAM
        channel 1 authmode OPEN powersavemode OFF powersavesleep 100
        wepmode MIXED weptxkey 1
        wepkey 1:104-bit

> and c)
> you have not provided a more precise means of duplicating the crash
> (I can't do cvsup from home: I only have a dialup). Cvsup is not
> a network diagnostic or traffic generation tool: it is not possible
> to generate consistent, reproducible results with it. Use ttcp or
> netperf instead, then show me _EXACTLY_ how you ran it to produce
> the crash so I can do it too.

Ok, I do it. Now I have to go to lunch ;o) Do you have this or similar
card too? The driver is bcmwl5.sys and it seems that it is shared
among several cards.

> > *) Cisco AIR-CB20A / AIR-CB20A-A-K9 (802.11a)
> I don't have a card like this. What chipset is it?

I'm sorry - how do you get information about used chipsets?

> > *) Proxim Orinoco 8471-WD (802.11a/b/g)
> "Halts" == freezes up? Or do you mean it resets?

Yes, freezes up. Without any message. Even leds on keyboard had
been blocked.

> > *) SMC EZ Connect g SMC2835W (802.11b/g)
> What chipset is this card?

The same problem as above - I do not know, where to get information
about used chipset :o|

If you want, it would not be problem for me to give you an ssh access
to my notebook in my working time (about 4 hours before and 4 hours
after exactly this time).

--
Rudolf Cejka <cejkar at fit.vutbr.cz> http://www.fit.vutbr.cz/~cejkar
Brno University of Technology, Faculty of Information Technology