Dmesg output breaking up.

Bruce Evans bde at zeta.org.au
Fri Jan 23 21:08:19 PST 2004

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004, John Baldwin wrote:

> On Friday 23 January 2004 04:13 pm, Josef Karthauser wrote:
> > > I don't remember the exact details, but dmesg -a will give you the entire
> > > message back.  I know that the cause goes back to when the console output
> > > started getting dumped into the message buffer.
> >
> > That appears to work.  It would be good to get this fixed though ->
> > I notice that the dmesg output in the period scripts is broken in the
> > same way.
>
> Apparently there isn't a good fix.  You can try bugging phk. :)

It's interesting that it seems to be broken on freefall right now.
dmesg prints just one line.  But the bug seems to be in printing that
line instead of nothing.  The message bugger is full of syslog messages
do there are no kernel messages to print, but the tail of one of the
syslog messages is printed because its markup has been clobbered by
the buffer wrapping around.

Bruce