Downgrade FreeBSD 5.1 or 5.2 -> 4.9

Ruben de Groot mail25 at bzerk.org
Thu Jan 22 01:06:33 PST 2004

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 09:01:58AM +0100, Sessler, Enrico typed:
> Hello,
>
> is there a way to downgrade from FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE
> or 5.2-CURRENT to the latest 4.x version?

It's not officially supported. If you used the defaults to create
filesystems in 5.x they will be UFS2 and you're out of luck. Backup
your data and reinstall from scratch.

> Have tried via "sysinstall" and "Upgrade" but it always
> complaints that there is no "base" section found when
> I set in Options "4.9-RELEASE".
>
> Note: I have no console access to the machines only
> telnet/rlogin. Thus using a boot floppy/CD is not possible.

You need the sysinstall version that came with 4.9-RELEASE. If you have
a spare slice on these machines you *might* be able to get this done,
but it's very risky.

Ruben