5.2-CURRENT FreeBSD - ata1-slave : TIMEOUT - SETFEATURES SET TRANSFER MODE retrying (0 retries left) -

Brendon and Wendy wendy.humphrey at comcast.net
Sun Jan 18 11:09:09 PST 2004

All,

I've done a fair bit of testing on this now. Disabling ACPI, compiling
for UP/without apic makes no difference to this behaviour. I have
reconfigured the layout of my IDE devices, switched cables also with no
effect.

The only change that I have been able to do is swap drives with another
machine. Everything works fine now. So obviously the problem lies within
the cdrom drive itself. Booting the other machine, which runs an older
-current yielded the familiar missing interrupt message, the system
continued booting. The drive works just fine after boot. However, I
predict that if I update the kernel on the spare, this drive will become
unusable again.

So, Sos, I would urge you to find a workaround that allows for the
device to continue functioning per earlier kernels. It seems from the
mail on -current that there are at least a few people affected by this,
so I doubt that it is a hardware fault per se.

If the information is worth anything, the faultdrive is a Memorex 2452AJ
from 2003. The main machine is i860 based (ICH2), the spare is a fairly
recent KT400A? AMD/Via based thing.

Thanks,
Brendon