em0 watchdog reset (kern/60285)

Robin Schoonover end at endif.cjb.net
Sat Jan 17 10:43:44 PST 2004

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 19:29:12 +0100, Ben Stuyts wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to setup -current (just cvsupped) on a Gigabyte GA-8KNXP
> and I experience the same symptoms as mentioned in the PR in the
> subject: em0 keeps getting watchdog resets, and is unusable.
> (http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern%2F60285)
>
> It seems there is an acpi problem, which might be related. (pcib2:
> could not get PCI interrupt routing table for \\_SB_.PCI0.CSAB -
> AE_NOT_FOUND)

I had the same problem with vr0 when I tried installing 5.2 (which at this
point is still pretty similar to -current).

The errata for 5.2 mentions:

(10 Jan 2004) Although APIC interrupt routing seems to work correctly on
many systems, on some others (such as some laptops) it can cause various
errors, such as ata(4) errors or hangs when starting or exiting X11. For
these situations, it may be advisable to disable APIC routing, using the
``safe mode'' of the bootloader or the hint.apic.0.disabled loader tunable.
Note that disabling APIC is not compatible with SMP systems.

I followed the directions and got rid of my watchdog timeout problems.
Unfortunately, either XFree86 in 5.2 is broken somehow (and nvidia's
drivers don't work anymore) or this affects XFree86 (and then that breaks
nvidia's drivers).  Since somehow nvidia's drivers were broken and couldn't
go above 8bpp and neither could X's nv driver, so I want back to 5.1

> Is there something I can do to help solve the problem?

>From what I see, nope.  For you, it looks like you can't disable APIC,
since you have a SMP system.  And that's assuming your problem is the same
sort of problem mine is anyhow.

--
Robin Schoonover (aka End)
#