Question on quieting kernel boot

Bruce Evans bde at zeta.org.au
Wed Jan 14 10:58:04 PST 2004

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004, Dag-Erling [iso-8859-1] Sm=F8rgrav wrote:

> "Rob MacGregor" <rob_macgregor at hotmail.com> writes:
> > I take it that's the "-m" (mute the console) and "-v" (verbose)
> > options?  Where can I find details on exactly what these do?
>
> I don't know what -m does, but -v is what I was thinking of.  It sets
> a variable in the kernel (bootverbose).  Parts of the kernel will
> print additional information at boot time (and sometimes also at run
> time) if bootverbose is non-zero.

bootverbose is a general verboseness flags.  It may be set on or off at
any time after using the debug.bootverbose sysctl.  It's only relationships
with booting are:
- it is bogusly named "bootverbose"
- it can be set at boot time by booting with -v
- more messages are normally printed at boot time than later, so there is
  more for the flag to affect at boot time.

Bruce