Signal 6's with ruby apps such as portupgrade and pkg

Larry Rosenman ler at lerctr.org
Mon Jan 12 14:32:51 PST 2004

--On Monday, January 12, 2004 14:15:34 -0800 Doug White
<dwhite at gumbysoft.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, Edwin Culp wrote:
>
>> I'm seeing signal 6's  with ruby apps such as pkgdb
>> and portupgrade also with gaim-0.75, mkisofs.  I'm
>> seeing signal 11's with kdm.  This is with today's
>> world and kernel.  I also got a signal 15 on syslogd
>> but I was able to start it without a problem after the
>> machine came up to multiuser.
>
> Sig15 is pretty normal on a shutdown as its the normal SIGTERM.  Sig6 is
> SIGABRT and is usually caused by a serious (but detected) program problem.
> Sig11 is more serious, usually a program bug, but can be caused by bad
> memory or system temperature issues.
FWIW, I upgraded (with portupgrade) gaim from 0.74_3(IIRC) to 0.75, and
started getting SIGABRT/SIGSEGV (SIG 6/SIG 11) from it.

Joe Marcus Clarke had me:

ln -s aj /etc/malloc.conf

which seems to get around a malloc(3) bug in gaim 0.75.

Just my $0.02.

LER

Phone: +1 972-414-9812                 E-Mail: ler at lerctr.org